One of the things that separates software built for Chiropractors from software built for generic medical specialties is the ability to accommodate unique chiropractic codes in the billing process.
Chiropractic Diagnosis Codes: candidates for the best chiropractic EHR software should include specific ICD-10 look-up tools addressing the diagnosis family of codes along with indicators for which codes are actually deemed billable. For instance, code M50.92 for Cervical disc disorder, unspecified in the mid-cervical region can not longer be on a claim. Instead, more detailed codes of M50.920, M50.921, M50.922, and M50.923 must be selected and placed on the claim to avoid risk of claim rejection or denial.
See sample ICD-10 look-up tool below from FreeChiro.com’s free chiropractic office platform.
There are many ICD Codes that can be applied to a chiropractic diagnosis, and although only a handful of CPT codes are reimbursable by medicare, modern integrated chiropractic medicine relies on a full spectrum of adjustment and therapy or treatment modalities for advanced patient care and wellness
- CMT CPT Codes
- X-Ray codes
- Modality codes
- Massage Codes
- Stretching, exercise and therapy codes
- Pulsed electromagnetic field therapy (PEMFT)
- Electronic muscle stimulation
New Patient Evaluation & Management
CPT 99201 Outpatient visit for the E&M of a new patient requires 3 key components:
• a problem-focused history
• a problem-focused examination
• straightforward medical decision-making
Manipulative treatment CPT codes covered by Medicare
• 98940 Manipulation spinal, one to two regions.
• 98941 Manipulation spinal, three to four regions.
• 98942 Manipulation spinal, five regions. and
• 98943 extraspinal.
97010 (hot or cold packs), 97012 (mechanical traction), 97014 (electrical stimulation), 97016 (vasopneumatic devices), 97018 (paraffin bath), 97022 (whirlpool), 97024 (diathermy, microwave), 97026 (infrared), 97028 (ultraviolet modality)
Continually Attended Modalities (each 15 minutes)
97032 electrical stimulation
97034 contrast baths
97036 Hubbard tank
97039 Unlisted modality (specify type and time of constant attendance)
Procedures eligible to be reported by a chiropractor are time-based and require direct one-on-one individual contact with the health care provider:
• 97110 therapeutic exercises
• 97112 strength and endurance, range of motion and flexibility
• 97113 neuromuscular reeducation of movement, balance, coordination, kinesthetic sense, posture, and/or proprioception for sitting and/or standing activities
• T97140 aquatic therapy with therapeutic exercises
• 97140 manual lymphatic drainage, manual traction
What Distinguishes Chiropractic Medical Billing Software from Other Clinic Software?
Chiropractic Billing is different from all other medical billing because chiropractic care is different from traditional medicine in that it seeks to treat the root cause of a patient’s pain rather than treating symptoms. In the chiropractic profession, instead of reaching into a coat pocket and pulling out a handful of pill samples, Chiropractors deal directly and holistically with what is causing the patient’s suffering, thereby seeking to eliminate the cause.
The value of cloud-based practice management software in the chiropractic clinic
Chiropractic treatment has proven highly effective in treating both chronic and acute work related injuries, auto accident injuries, headache, TMJ, neck and back pain, shoulder pain, carpal tunnel, sports related injuries, muscle and joint pain, and disc and spinal injuries. Only a software that is designed specially to meet the needs of a chiropractor can take into account all the details specific to Chiropractic practice management.
Beyond it being flexible, robust, and easy to use, FreeCHIRO is custom tailored to the specific tasks of chiropractic treatment (Check Out Our Free SOAP Notes EHR), and our claim management software is specialized to chiropractic billing and personal injury.
Personal Injury Reimbursement :
- Slip and Fall
- Muscle Sprain (lower back pain)
- Upper Thoracic Pain
Auto Accident Injury Claim Filing:
- Chronic Headache due to subluxation.
Workers Compensation Injury Reimbursement:
- Lower Back Pain
- Middle Back Pain
- Upper Back Pain
ALL PAYER Insurance Reimbursement
- Cash Practice
- Personal injury claims
- Bill All Payers
Whether you are a Medical Biller looking for Chiropractic Software, or a Chiropractor looking for Billing Software, shopping for a chiropractic system can be a daunting and time consuming task.
What Type of Software Features Should I Look For?
- An EHR that’s Easy, Simple, Intuitive and Affordable
- One Comprehensive and Complete EHR and Office System
- Designed to Meet the Unique needs of Chiropractic Practice
- Web Based – On The Cloud – No Software to Install or to Maintain!
- NO ANNUAL UPGRADE FEES, ANNUAL SUPPORT OR LICENSING FEES
- 5010 COMPLIANT. HIPAA COMPLIANT. ICD-10 CODES
Chiropractic Practice Management
- Complete Patient-to-Pay Solution
- Patient Scheduling (Flexible & Powerful)
- Fully customizable to meet your unique needs
- Excellent Reporting Features
- Dashboard Financial reporting
- Documenting Medical Necessity
- Accurately Document Medical Necessity
- Avoid E&M Audits
- Attack Shrinking Reimbursements by increasing Practice EFFICIENCY
Practice Marketing Power
- New Patient Acquisition
- No Software to Install
- No Hardware to maintain
- No Setup Costs
- No Annual Software License & Support Fees
- 100% Free Chiropractic Claim Filing Software!
- Send Claims Electronically Free – Unlimited Par-Claims!
Authoritative DC Software Resources
Beyond the information found on this resource guide, we encourage all practices to sign up for periodic alerts from FreeChiro.com’s expert interview series with practicing DC’s and practical operational tips from business managers and consultants.
Recent articles include:
For chiropractic physicians and business owners, we recommend close watch on publications from the American Chiropractic Association where members have access to critical issues impacting the administration and clinical aspects of practice – from reform implications of MACRA / Medicare payment program to treatment guidelines for low back pain and even the ACA’s reaction to the latest healthcare bill on Capital Hill.
State chiropractic organizations also provide incredible opportunities for state-level localization on policy and clinical care.
Links to State Chiropractic Associations
Conclusion – Software DESIGNED BY CHIROPRACTORS For Chiropractors
In this review of the best chiropractic software for 2017, the key indicators guiding selection of the right system for your needs include 1. Office Setting. 2. Affordability. 3. Type of Software. 4. All-in-one Systems vs. stand-alone modules such as a chiropractic office management software that offers credit-card processing and an emr solution with electronic billing for icd code 98941 or 99201 among others.
If Chiropractic billing is misunderstood the result can be thousands of dollars lost each month. Comprehensive chiropractic EHR and claim management software provides the tools for every Chiropractor’s practice to be successful. One hundred percent of our software was designed by requests, suggestions and feedback from all the Chiropractors using our system.
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN YOUR IDEAL SOFTWARE?
Chiropractic practice management provides the following chiropractor specific Features & Benefits to help make your practice more efficient and more profitable. Here are some major benefits!
- Simple, Intuitive, Easy, and Affordable
- Designed to Meet the Specific Needs of Chiropractors!
- One System, One Database, From One Company
- Comprehensive Patient-to-Pay, Revenue Cycle Management:
PATIENT SCHEDULING > CLINICAL EHR > BACK OFFICE > EDI > RCM > PRACTICE MANAGEMENT
ADDITIONAL POWERFUL practice management FEATURES:
- Powerful & Flexible Patient Scheduler
- Ease of Use: Create a New Patient Record in Under 6 Seconds!
- Customize Intake & Registration Forms
- Customize New patient Questionnaire Forms
- Customizable Super-Bills and Fee Slips.
- Process Co-pays, Deductibles, Print Receipts
ADDITIONAL POWERFUL BILLING OFFICE FEATURES:
- Eligibility Verification Integrated Within the System
- Allows for Multiple Financial Cases Per Patient
- Bundle Codes & Modifiers. Enter New Procedure Codes Easily.
- Create Favorites List of ICD-10 and CPT Codes with Full Searchability
- Consistently Produce Accurate Claims
- Front-end Claim Edits That Reduce Denials
- Collections and Denials Workbench for Follow-up and Action
- Generate Appeal Letter for Denials
- Alerts to Automatically Push All Unpaid Claims to the Collections Workbench for Follow-up.
- Automated Patient Statements and Collections Letters (Clear, Easy to Read Patient Statements)
POWERFUL FLEXIBLE FRONT OFFICE
- Setup CASH / SELF-PAY pricing, and discounts for full payment upfront
- Track number of visits: Visits used, visits left, w/ authorization expiration alerts!
- Legal Forms such as Assignment of Benefits, HIPAA forms & More.
- ERA: Electronic Remittance Advice for Bulk Check Posting
- Handles your retail merchant account processing or cash plan
POWERFUL practice management REPORTING FEATURES:
- Single-click Dashboard Reporting of all financials
- Examine all Cash Flow Blockers At a Glance
- View the entire financial health of your practice instantly in a single report
What Types of ADVANCED PRACTICE MANAGEMENT REPORTS Should I Look for?:
- Accounts Receivable Reporting
- Insurance Aging Reporting
- Patient Aging Reporting
- Detailed Aging Reporting
- Insurance collections summary
- Insurance collections detail
- Patient collections summary
- Patient collections detail
- Denial Summary Report
- Productivity Reports
- Insurance productivity
- Provider productivity
- Procedure Productivity
- Patients Reports
- Patient Ledger
- Patient balance summary
- Patient balance detail
- Patient referrals summary
- Patient insurance authorization